Have you ever wondered how to become like Sherlock Holmes or any other character that has a high intellect, with quick responses towards any form of change around them and are aware of how and when to react to a particular situation without tiring out?
For me, it’s a YES. It amazes me how conscious they are about every aspect, this is mindfulness. Consciousness and mindfulness are synonyms. To be conscious is a subset of being mindful.
HOW DO YOU DEFINE MINDFULNESS?
Mindfulness is a technique extracted from Buddhism where one tries to notice present thoughts, feelings, and sensation without judgement. It’s a mental state achieved by focusing on the present moment.
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?
Many of us often find ourselves trapped in an endless loop of thought process. When we are stuck in a situation wherein we can’t react quickly our thought process kicks in and we are pondered with lots of questions on what may go wrong. This thought process leaves us stressed, depressed and with no answers to our situation.
But this might not be the case with a person who is self-aware and is mindful of his/her actions. Mindful people think calmly and are aware of what their actions can affect their future and what they can do to the person around them. This is quite a superpower because not everyone can master mindfulness.
Being mindful is the first step in achieving peace in life. If you are mindful of your actions you are less stressed. If you are less stressed you ultimately end up doing everything calmly and can enjoy life the way you want to.
HOW TO ACHIEVE MINDFULNESS?
- Pay attention: There is so much going around you. It’s necessary to notice the changes in your environment because they will affect you in the long run. Paying attention to simple details can change your life. Maybe you will end up discovering something unknown to the world or something new to you. In both cases, you learn something new and that is a great feeling. Suppose you are at your workplace, you are tired of looking at the computer screen so you look around. You see everyone busy at their work, some rubbing their eyes, some thinking deeply, you notice someone is not in a good mood. Maybe after your work, you can talk to them and maybe that’s what they were looking for, someone to talk to. It can make their day as well as yours.
- Live in the moment: Planning appropriately for your future is important but that doesn’t mean you have to stress yourself out to work harder and only think about the future. Staying in the present is the one skill you need to master. The future is uncertain. There is no point in not enjoying the present to save for the future. Planning things out is the one thing you need to do and not just worry about the future and do nothing.
- Know and accept yourself: One should be aware of his/her likes and dislikes. Never let anyone else define you what you are. If something makes you happy. Do it. Life doesn’t give you a second chance. We must grab the opportunity and make the best out of it. Don’t be with people whom you feel are giving a bad vibe when you are present there. It would just hurt you and cause trouble dealing with your emotions. Talk about what you love and what you want to do. Because the more you communicate about your goals the more focused you will be to achieve them. Talk to people who are experienced in the field of your interest. It gives you more insights into the topic. Accepting yourselves and your interest would naturally help you to convince others who oppose it.
- Meditate: There are different types of meditation you can do to attain mindfulness. Meditating daily can reduce stress, anxiety, depression, and there are various proven benefits of meditating daily. Mediation is the path to attain control of yourself, your mind.
There are nine popular types of meditation practice:
- mindfulness meditation
- spiritual meditation
- focused meditation
- movement meditation
- mantra meditation
- transcendental meditation
- progressive relaxation
- loving-kindness meditation
- visualization meditation
Some quotes on being mindful –
“The past is already gone, the future is not yet here. There’s only one moment for you to live.”
“Meditation brings wisdom; lack of meditation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and
what holds you back, and choose the path that leads to wisdom.”
“To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others.”
If you or anyone you know wants to practice mindfulness and seek therapy, it’s important to overcome trauma and focus on understanding yourself better.