USES AND SIDE EFFECTS OF EVENING PRIMROSE OIL
People nowadays are turning to organic ways to tackle pain and various other problems. Evening primrose oil is one of the organic methods. Many people use evening primrose oil for premenstrual syndrome (PMS), menopause symptoms, acne, arthritis, high cholesterol, and various other conditions. However, there is no good scientific evidence to support these uses.
Evening primrose oil is not an essential ointment ordinarily utilized for fragrance-based treatment. Rather, one can be taken by mouth.
WHAT IS EVENING PRIMROSE OIL?
Evening primrose oil is separated from yellow flowers of the Oenothera biennis plant. This plant starts from North and South America and develops all through Europe and portions of Asia. The oil is extricated from the seeds and has therapeutic properties. The flowers are yellow in shading which are shut during the day and open at nightfall.
The leaves and foundations of the plant likewise are utilized for their restorative worth. Evening primrose oil is wealthy in omega-6 fundamental unsaturated fat. It contains linoleic corrosive as well as GLA. Linolein corrosive and GLA are a fundamental part of the defensive covering of the nerve filaments referred to as myelin as well as neuronal cell layer.
USES OF EVENING PRIMROSE OIL
Some uses of evening primrose oil:
- Menopause and Premenstrual syndrome – Oil has benefits in relieving the hot flashes that women experience during menopause without any side effects, unlike the hormonal treatment. It also reduces the risk of developing bone-related issues for postmenopausal women. Evening primrose oil helps in treating symptoms such as :
PMS is a difficult phase for the majority of women causing tenderness in the breast, irritability, feelings of depression, and swelling and bloating around the abdominal region due to fluid retention. Evening primrose oil helps in relieving these symptoms.
- Minimize Breast Pain – When you experience breast pain so serious during your period that it disrupts your life, taking EPO might help. As indicated by the new review, the GLA in EPO is remembered to diminish aggravation and assist with inhibiting prostaglandins that cause repeating breast pain. The investigation discovered that taking everyday portions of EPO or EPO and vitamin E for a long time diminished the seriousness of repeating breast pain.
- Nerve Pain – Peripheral neuropathy is a typical result of diabetes and different circumstances. Linoleic acid and GLA in primrose oil provides benefit in nerve pain especially associated with diabetes. Diabetic people have experienced a benefit is 6-10 months in nerve pain mainly affecting the feet and legs. The evening primrose oil helps reduce neuropathy symptoms such as:
- Hot and cold sensitivity
- Osteoporosis – Taking a high amount of unsaturated fat is related to a decreased gamble of osteoporosis, which is a bone mineral misfortune that makes bones frail and fragile. This condition particularly influences ladies after menopause. Evening primrose oil has a high amount of unsaturated fat which reduces the risk of bone and mineral loss leading to osteoporosis. In combination with fish oil and calcium evening, primrose oil increases bone density, especially in femur bone (thigh).
- Bone Pain – Bone pain is regularly brought about by rheumatoid joint inflammation, an ongoing provocative problem. As per the new review, the GLA in EPO can decrease rheumatoid joint inflammation pain without causing undesirable incidental effects.
- Improve skin health and skin problems – As it is rich in linoleic acid it helps in healing acne by reducing skin inflammation and lesions. Evening primrose oil repairs the skin damage enhances the epidermis as well as cell turnover. They reduce blemishes, redness and cures skin condition like eczema and psoriasis. It also helps in improving skin appearance by locking the moisture. These also smoothens the skin cells, boost collagen production, improves skin elasticity as well as get absorbed deep in the skin which makes the skin radiant and firm thereby making skin look younger. Evening primrose oil helps smoothen the skin and improve its:
- Fatigue resistance
- Help ease eczema – The oral use of evening primrose oil helps to treat eczema, an inflammatory skin condition. The GLA in evening primrose oil helps improve the skin’s epidermis.
- Reduce hot flashes – Evening primrose oil might decrease the seriousness of hot flashes, one of the most awkward symptoms of menopause. Ladies likewise had further developed marks for social movement, relations with others, and sexuality on a survey on what hot blazes mean for day-to-day existence. The investigation discovered that ladies who required 500 mg every day of EPO for quite some time experienced less regular, less extreme, and more limited hot glimmers.
Some other benefits include controlling blood pressure, asthma, hepatitis B, liver cancer, obesity, and improving the heart condition as it anti-inflammatory properties along with reducing cholesterol.
SIDE EFFECTS OF EVENING PRIMROSE OIL
It is considered safe for many people but might cause side effects in some. Some common side effects are inflammation of the hands and feet, upset stomach, abdominal cramps, rash, headache, etc. It can rarely cause an allergic response leading to difficulty in breathing, rashes, or wheezing. Evening primrose oil can interfere with some medicines like blood thinners by increasing the bleeding.
Side effects of EPO are usually mild and may include:
- Upset stomach
- Stomach pain
- Soft stools
It also shows interaction with anti-clotting drugs such as:
- Anticoagulants (blood thinners).
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Antipsychotic drugs.
- HIV medications, such as lopinavir.
SOME PRECAUTIONS FOR EVENING PRIMROSE OIL
Evening primrose oil has some side effects thus, there are some precautions necessary. These include:
- Pregnancy: Taking evening primrose oil orally is conceivably safe during pregnancy. Taking up to 4 grams orally every day for as long as 10 weeks is by all accounts safe. However, until this is affirmed, be mindful. Taking evening primrose during the last a long time of pregnancy could postpone work. Try not to utilize this item near the finish of pregnancy.
- Breast-feeding: It is conceivably safe to take evening primrose oil while breast-taking care of, however, it’s ideal to check with your medical services supplier first.
- Children: Evening primrose is conceivably safe when taken by mouth in portions as much as 6 grams every day. It is additionally potentially safe when applied to the skin.
- Bleeding disorders: Evening primrose could build the possibility of swelling and dying. Try not to utilize it assuming you have a draining problem.
- Epilepsy or another seizure disorder: Evening primrose might make seizures more likely in some people.
- Surgery: Evening primrose could expand the possibility of draining during or after a medical procedure. Quit utilizing it somewhere around 2 weeks before a booked a medical procedure.
Evening primrose oil is usually applied topically in form of soft gels or liquids but it is also available in form of tablets or capsules. A dosage of 500 milligrams daily is considered safe in adults, but a maximum of 1,300 milligrams a day has shown no side effects. Research is being carried out to find more effective usage of evening primrose oil and make it more tolerable to adults.
If you or anyone you know is suffering from pain, our expert providers at Specialty Care Clinics will take care of your health and help you recover.
Call us on (469) 545-9983 to book an appointment with our specialists.