WHAT IS A SOMATIC PAIN?
The word somatic pain is derived from the Greek word ‘soma’ which means body and is related to psychiatry. Somatoform disorders are classified as diseases in which the physical symptoms are the main problems in the body like pain. In this type of disease, physical symptoms are felt in spite of the absence of external factors and he considers them as serious diseases. In this disease, the mind and body are not able to harmonize properly. Despite having physical symptoms, lab tests are found to be consistently normal, and external factors are not visible.
There are mainly five types of diseases in the classification of Somatic pain –
- Somatization Disorder
- Conversion Disorder
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder
- Pain Disorder
WHAT IS SOMATIZATION DISORDER?
Somatic symptom disorder is a type of mental illness. Due to this disease, a person becomes emotional very quickly or can become very emotional under any circumstances. In such a situation, along with the feeling of pain in some parts of the body, there is a feeling of mental confusion and extreme sadness. In fact, during this, the patients feel extremely upset, confused, and helpless.
If there is a somatic symptom disorder, it cannot be treated on its own. For its treatment, only consult a doctor.
First of all, It is important to understand the changes taking place in the body.
The symptoms of somatic symptom disorder can be different from person to person. The most common symptom of somatic symptom disorder is body aches.
THE ROOT CAUSE OF SOMATIC PAIN
The root cause of this disease could not be ascertained accurately.
- According to psychological theories, this symptom is an unconscious attempt to express tense feelings or a way of symbolically presenting one’s emotion, in which the consciousness of the person remains unaware of pain. It has also been seen in people who have instability in their family or who have to go through physical abuse.
- For biological reasons, it is believed that the patient is not able to habituate to the continuous electrical waves received by the cells. In genetic research, this disease is found in 10-20 percent of the first blood relatives in the family.
HOW COMMON IS SOMATIC PAIN?
It is necessary to consult a doctor to know the problems associated with somatization disorder. Even a state of extreme anxiety or stress is enough to make someone sick. So, to avoid any physical trouble, first of all, be happy and keep yourself fit.
Somatization disorder is common and can happen to anyone.
There are many physical symptoms together in somatization disorder which cannot be proved in a physical examination and lab tests i.e. tests come normal. The disease usually begins at the age of 30 and differs from other somatoform disorders in the variety of symptoms it causes. It is a chronic disease and causes mental stress, impacts social and occupational performance, and makes the patient undergo or seek unnecessary/excessive medical advice/tests.
This disease is found 5-20 times more in women than in men. Mostly this disease is seen in less educated and economically weaker sections and this disease starts before the age of 30 years.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF SOMATIC PAIN?
The following are some of the common causes of somatization disorder:
- This disorder is more likely to cause specific sensations, such as pain or shortness of breath, weakness, or tiredness.
- There can be more than one reason. Because every person’s body composition is different, there can be an increased risk of somatization disorder as well as other diseases.
- The presentation of somatization disorder consists of a complex and complicated medical history of long-standing physical complaints.
SYMPTOMS OF SOMATIC PAIN
- Nausea (other than those that occur during pregnancy)
- Difficulty swallowing
- Pain in the extremities
- Shortness of breath (aside from physical exercise or other diseases determined by proven diseases)
- The difference in memory, thinking of being sick most of the time.
- Frequent or excessive thinking about future illness. Thinking too much about the trouble that will happen in the future.
- Normal bodily sensations considered a sign of serious physical illness
- Treating normal treatment as a serious problem and getting upset without any reason.
- Having negative thoughts during treatment, do not know whether they will be able to be cured or not.
- Fear of harm to the body from physical activity.
- Despite being healthy, visiting the health center again and again (such people without any reason feel that they are sick)
- Become over-sensitive to pain
That is why it is more important to consult a health expert.
There may be symptoms resembling disorders of the brainstem, such as loss of body control, numbness, weakness in part of the body, trouble swallowing, lumpy feeling in the throat, loss of voice, cessation of urination, seeing two objects, blindness, deafness, Epilepsy-like activity.
WHEN SHOULD WE SEE THE DOCTOR?
If you notice any symptoms or causes, you should see a doctor. Because every human body is different. Therefore it is necessary to consult a doctor.
What are the causes of somatic pain?
Somatic pain can have the following causes.
- Genetic or biological reasons such as being overly sensitive to pain
- Negative thinking can also lead to the problem of somatization disorder.
WHAT CAN LEAD TO SOMATIC PAIN?
There can be many reasons for having a somatization disorder, such as:
- Being anxious or depressed
- Physical discomfort due to any reason
- Being under extreme stress or violence
- Childhood problems
- Being less educated is also included in the causes
HOW TO RECOGNIZE SOMATIC PAIN?
Somatic pain can be understood in the following way. As-
- Any physical examination or examination as prescribed by the doctor.
- There are many reasons like stress, family history, fear, relationship problems that can harm the body.
- Excessive consumption of alcohol or drugs can also cause this problem.
WHAT IS THE TREATMENT METHOD?
According to research conducted by the American Psychiatric Association, the following information under the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) helps in the diagnosis:
- Having somatic symptoms like pain and anxiety
- To worry unnecessarily
- Symptoms last more than six months
HOW IS SOMATIC PAIN TREATED?
- Cognitive behavioral therapy can help you:
- Understand about health and physical symptoms
- Understand how to reduce stress
- Learn to cope with physical symptoms
- Do not Ignore extreme symptoms
- Start everyday activities, office work, relationships, and meeting people
- Understand depression and mental health
Antidepressant medications help reduce the symptoms of depression caused by somatic symptom disorder.
Lifestyle changes or home remedies-
- Somatic pain can be cured by some home remedies and lifestyle changes. These changes include:
- Do not consume drugs and alcohol.
- Social work, household chores, and meeting and interacting with people.
- Be physically active.
- Stay away from stress and relax.
- Keep yourself busy, talk to people and trust people.
- If you have problems with anxiety or depression, seek help from a health expert as soon as possible
- Learn to recognize the condition when you’re stressed and how it affects your body.
There is a possibility of better treatment of this disease when the patient is in contact with a psychiatrist and follows his guidance. The duration of consultation should be limited and unnecessary tests should be avoided. When accompanied by another proven physical disease, it must be looked after and investigated and treated.