The spinal cord is one important part that supports the body. If there is any issue in the spine, then the person faces many problems. One such problem is scoliosis. Today, we are going to tell you about the latest techniques of spinal surgery with can help patients with scoliosis.
WHAT IS THE SCOLIOSIS?
Scoliosis is a condition in which the spine bends to one side. However, scoliosis can affect any place within the spine. But usually, it affects the thoracic or chest area and hence is known as thoracic scoliosis. However, when it occurs in the lower back it is called lumbar scoliosis.
CAUSES OF SCOLIOSIS
In most cases, the cause of scoliosis remains unknown. But still, in some cases. Muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy, and spinal bifida are the reasons for the development of this disease. In most children affected by scoliosis, it does not require any treatment. The twitching gradually improves gradually as the child grows. Nevertheless, depending on the age of the child and the degree of spinal curvature, a combination of physical therapy and bracing is often advised. A small number of patients affected by this disease require physical correction.
Complications of scoliosis include shortness of breath, chronic pain, and decreased exercise capacity.
Some other reasons for the development of this disease are:
- Congenital scoliosis– This rarely occurs because the bones of the spine develop abnormally when the baby was growing in the mother’s womb.
- Gene factor– At least one gene is believed to be involved in the development of this disease.
- Leg Length– When one leg is longer than the other, people can gradually develop scoliosis.
- Other reasons – Carrying a heavy backpack at a young age or getting injured.
However, in 80 to 86 percent of cases, the cause of scoliosis is unknown. Sometimes congenital causes, such as tumors, injuries, or a specific medical condition.
In a disease called scoliosis, there is an abnormal deformity of the spine. Children are more vulnerable to this disease and this disease progresses slowly, which is not detected till puberty.
DIAGNOSIS OF SCOLIOSIS
Usually, doctors do a physical examination of the ribs, spine, hips, and shoulders to diagnose this disease. To measure the degree of scoliosis, doctors use a biomedical tool known as a ‘scolimeter’ or inclinometer.
SAFE AND SUCCESSFUL SPINAL SURGERY USING NEW TECHNOLOGY
Spinal surgery is a risky surgery and is challenging for many experts and patients.
Spinal surgery has been a challenging subject since its inception. Even today, patients get scared when they hear the name “spine surgery”. Bone deformities, cervical stenosis, and cranial bone anomalies near the joint and spinal tumors pose a serious challenge and there is a risk of neurological damage during surgery.
With new advances in spinal surgery, we can perform surgery more accurately, reduce the incidence of complications, and deliver consistently good results to our patients.
TYPES AND PROCEDURES OF SPINAL SURGERY
Here are some types and procedures of spinal surgery:
Intraoperative neurologic inspection
- This method helps to find post-surgical changes using the physiological characteristics of the nervous system. The risk on which it occurs is directly recorded and inspected.
Ultrasonic Bone Scalpel
- Ultrasonic Bone Scalpel It is a new ultrasonic surgical instrument in which bone is cut leaving soft tissue. Remains right where the bone is cut near the dura and neural structures.
Spinal endoscopic surgery
- Keyhole is less-lethal spinal surgery has many benefits, such as quick recovery, shorter hospital stay, and minimal post-surgical pain.
- Patients who have very rare spinal fractures are treated with a skin-triggered technique called balloon kyphoplasty.
Spinal surgery with navigation and robotics
- More recently, navigation and robotics have led to new discoveries in spinal surgery. These techniques make implants in sensitive areas such as craniosacral junctions and malformed spinal cord very safe and accurate.
- The experts and doctors have successfully performed spinal surgery on many patients using this technique for the first time which is proved successful.
For any information related to the latest spine surgeries, visit our Specialty Care Clinics -if you have any type of spine injury or problem
Our team of experienced doctors will advise you on the best option for your safety.