To check whether you are suffering from facet joint arthropathy or not, you can look for some symptoms. In some studies, it was found that the extension and rotation of the spinal column have worsened facet joint pain. The twisting, bending backward, or standing makes the pain unbearable. The pain arises usually centered on one specific part of the spine. Also, look for the below symptoms to differentiate the lower back pain due to facet joint from other causes of pain.
- Pain in the lower back that gets worse in the morning
- When you are doing anything this pain can get worse
- Pain at the time of spinal flexion or while performing a twisting motion
- Usually, this pain occurs in one place and very rarely it travels to other parts of the body
- Joint can become enlarged too
Above are the symptoms of facet joint arthropathy that you will experience when you are going through this disease consult your doctor first for proper guidance. For better care choose Specialty Care Clinic.
WHAT IS FACET JOINT ARTHROPATHY?
In the back of the spine, vertebrae (special bones) are connected to each other by facet joints and arthritis can be developed in any of the joints. Arthritis developed in the facet joint is known as facet arthropathy. Also known as facet joint osteoarthritis (FJOA). A healthy spine consists of spinal discs and facet joints that support each other to provide healthy and safe movement.
Facet arthropathy can be developed due to wear and tear of joints. Through wear and tear the protective layer (cushion) made up of cartilage and fluid between facet joints becomes thinner or damaged. Due to this, the bones in the joints rub with each other and cause restriction in movement resulting in pain, swelling, and stiffness.
It causes chronic lower back pain. The wearing and tearing down can be due to aging too. The possible causes of lower back pain can be the following:
- Muscles are attached to spinal discs through ligaments and one of the causes is damaged ligaments.
- Compressed or pinched spinal cord nerve roots
- The spinal cord has a protective covering around it called a dura that is hard
- Muscles disorder in the lower spine and facet joints
Although there is no cure for facet joint arthropathy, the pain can be effectively managed. With the help of your doctor who can find you the least invasive pain management technique.
It is normally the problem of adults but young people can also get affected if overused or if there is any injury. If the facet joint gets damaged then it can be a long-lasting or permanent disability.
WHAT CAN BE THE CAUSES OF FACET JOINT ARTHROPATHY?
Facet arthropathy can cause back and neck pain and is also among the common reasons for those pain. A facet arthropathy can have a reason for extensive arthritis spread in the joints seen in ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis. Orthopedics in Specialty Care Clinic is highly professional that will help you by analyzing your condition and suggesting a suitable pain management solution.
- Osteoarthritis– It is the disease of arthritis in joints that can be due to wear and tear of cartilage (protective cushion around the spine). Generally, it grows in joints but can also be found in hips and knees. It can also affect the facet joints. All this happens in middle age.
- Facet Degeneration– The wearing and tearing of facet joints due to aging.
- Facet Joint Injury or Accidents– A car crash, injury from sports, or a fall can damage or cause trauma to one or more facet joints.
- Synovial Cyst– As a result of aging, a fluid-filled sac grows in the spine.
- Wear and Tear of the Facet Joints– Lifting heavy weight, making improper posture, and disc problems are some of the reasons for the wearing and tearing of cartilage.
WHAT IS THE TREATMENT PROCEDURE FOR FACET JOINT ARTHROPATHY?
There is no solution to curing facet arthropathy permanently. But doctors can provide a pain management program. This program can help in the following manner:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)– ibuprofen, aspirin, and naproxen are some of the medication that helps in pain relief and reduces inflammation too. The doctor’s guidance is advisable for the medication.
- Physical Therapy– With the help of a physiotherapist you can restart the movement and regain strength.
- Epidural steroid injections
- Facet joint ablation– Radiofrequency waves are used to close down the facet joint nerves.
- Spine surgery- For compressed nerves, spinal surgery is performed to decompress them. Also, spinal fusion can also be performed to remove facet joints in the spine that are fused together.
In the course of time, the symptoms of facet joint arthropathy will get worse which means it will probably never get cured. In the course of time, the symptoms of facet joint arthropathy will get worse which means it will probably never get cured. Hence, go to your doctor and follow his advice for pain relief.